Kalibrace UPS APC Smart

Jirka zaloha@volny.cz
Středa Červen 2 20:20:57 CEST 2004

Jeste uvadim z jednoho mnou citovaneho zdroje:

  Q: I replaced the battery in my APC Smart-UPS and now it thinks the
     battery is low all the time.  How do you fix this?

  Q: My APC UPS keeps reporting "OL LB", even after it's been charging
     for many hours.  What can I do about this?

  A: This happened to me, and some other people too.  The combination of
     our experiences should prove useful to you.

     First, you need to realize that the UPS apparently stores data about
     the battery, load, and runtime.  After replacing the battery, it
     needs to be clued in to the new situation.  If the traditional
     runtime calibration doesn't work, you have to try something a
     little more drastic.

     You need to *completely* drain the UPS while it has a good ground.
     This means you can't just pull the plug.  You also have to
     disconnect it from the computer so this software won't shut it
     down.

     The easiest way to do this is to first unplug your computer(s) from
     it, and plug in a token load like a lamp.  Also, move the UPS to a
     power strip that doesn't switch the ground line or an outlet that
     you can switch off at your panel.

     Once the UPS is up at 100% charge (this is important), disconnect
     the power.  It _must_ remain connected to the ground, or the
     results may not be accurate.  Ignore the sounds it makes, and go
     away until it's done.  Don't do anything to the front panel while
     this is happening.

     After all of this, put things back the way they should be and let
     it charge up.  You should find that it again gives reasonable
     values and behavior, as it was when it was new.

     Thanks to Matthew Dharm for helping me nail down this procedure.

Jirka