CERN a rychlost světla

balu@home daniel.valuch na orange.fr
Pátek Září 23 09:59:28 CEST 2011

tu je kompletna tlacova sprava aj s detailami. Synchronizacian na
nanosekundovej urovni a vzajomna poloha znama s presnostou do 20cm :-)
Som velmi zvedavy na ten seminar, tak nejak tusim ze tam bude celkom
narvano :-)

http://press.web.cern.ch/press/PressReleases/Releases2011/PR19.11E.html

OPERA experiment reports anomaly in flight time of neutrinos from CERN
to Gran Sasso.

Geneva, 23 September 2011. The OPERA experiment, which observes a
neutrino beam from CERN 730 km away at Italy’s INFN Gran Sasso
Laboratory, will present new results in a seminar at CERN this afternoon
at 16:00 CEST. The seminar will be webcast at http://webcast.cern.ch.
Journalists wishing to ask questions may do so via twitter using the
hash tag #nuquestions, or via the usual CERN press office channels.

The OPERA result is based on the observation of over 15000 neutrino
events measured at Gran Sasso, and appears to indicate that the
neutrinos travel at a velocity 20 parts per million above the speed of
light, nature’s cosmic speed limit. Given the potential far-reaching
consequences of such a result, independent measurements are needed
before the effect can either be refuted or firmly established. This is
why the OPERA collaboration has decided to open the result to broader
scrutiny. The collaboration’s result is available on the preprint server
arxiv.org http://arxiv.org/abs/1109.4897.

The OPERA measurement is at odds with well-established laws of nature,
though science frequently progresses by overthrowing the established
paradigms. For this reason, many searches have been made for deviations
from Einstein’s theory of relativity, so far not finding any such
evidence. The strong constraints arising from these observations make an
interpretation of the OPERA measurement in terms of modification of
Einstein’s theory unlikely, and give further strong reason to seek new
independent measurements.

“This result comes as a complete surprise,” said OPERA spokesperson,
Antonio Ereditato of the University of Bern. “After many months of
studies and cross checks we have not found any instrumental effect that
could explain the result of the measurement. While OPERA researchers
will continue their studies, we are also looking forward to independent
measurements to fully assess the nature of this observation.”

“When an experiment finds an apparently unbelievable result and can find
no artefact of the measurement to account for it, it’s normal procedure
to invite broader scrutiny, and this is exactly what the OPERA
collaboration is doing, it’s good scientific practice,” said CERN
Research Director Sergio Bertolucci. “If this measurement is confirmed,
it might change our view of physics, but we need to be sure that there
are no other, more mundane, explanations. That will require independent
measurements.”

In order to perform this study, the OPERA Collaboration teamed up with
experts in metrology from CERN and other institutions to perform a
series of high precision measurements of the distance between the source
and the detector, and of the neutrinos’ time of flight. The distance
between the origin of the neutrino beam and OPERA was measured with an
uncertainty of 20 cm over the 730 km travel path. The neutrinos’ time of
flight was determined with an accuracy of less than 10 nanoseconds by
using sophisticated instruments including advanced GPS systems and
atomic clocks. The time response of all elements of the CNGS beam line
and of the OPERA detector has also been measured with great precision.

"We have established synchronization between CERN and Gran Sasso that
gives us nanosecond accuracy, and we’ve measured the distance between
the two sites to 20 centimetres,” said Dario Autiero, the CNRS
researcher who will give this afternoon’s seminar. “Although our
measurements have low systematic uncertainty and high statistical
accuracy, and we place great confidence in our results, we’re looking
forward to comparing them with those from other experiments."

“The potential impact on science is too large to draw immediate
conclusions or attempt physics interpretations. My first reaction is
that the neutrino is still surprising us with its mysteries.” said
Ereditato. “Today’s seminar is intended to invite scrutiny from the
broader particle physics community.”

The OPERA experiment was inaugurated in 2006, with the main goal of
studying the rare transformation (oscillation) of muon neutrinos into
tau neutrinos. One first such event was observed in 2010, proving the
unique ability of the experiment in the detection of the elusive signal
of tau neutrinos.